Imagine an entire village that is dedicated to skiing? We sat down with Alexander Kalss, the Managing Director of Hagan Lodge Altaussee to find out more about this amazing ski resort and the historical development of the lodges. We were surprised to learn that the village dedicated to skiing has a lot more to offer year round!
1. Many hotels in ski resorts were originally farm houses or even barns. What is the history of the Hagan Lodge?
Before the ski lifts were built, there were three farm houses in the Losermaut (Loser toll).The construction of the Loser-Panoramastraße in 1970 created a 9 kilometer-long connecting road that became the main artery for a further 30 kilometers of slopes. As the ski resort developed, more guest accommodation became necessary. In 2005, the main building (reception) and 14 houses were built on the “Sandling” slope. In 2006, more houses were built on the “Loser” slope. AlpenParks Hagan Lodge Altaussee now includes 62 chalets all built in the local “Ausseer” style.
2. With 30 km of ski slopes, 15 km of cross country skiing directly at the resort, and three additional ski resorts in close proximity, the attraction for skiers is clear. What other activities can Hagan Lodge guests enjoy?There is a skating rink and skating on the lake, winter hiking and Nordic walking. The area is a dream for winter sports enthusiasts.
Since the winter season 2016/17, the Loser-Panoramastraße boasts the longest toboggan run in Styria. The reception of the Hagan Lodge offers toboggan rental to all guests and visitors to the ski area. There is an ice-skating rink in the village of Altaussee and ice skating is also possible on Lake Altaussee. Ski touring is also possible along the Loser-Panoramastraße or directly on the ski touring trails. Fat-bike cycling (rental at the reception of the Hagan Lodge) or snowshoe hiking to the Blaa-Alm are also fun activities for guests.
3. What happens during the off-season when there is no snow?
“Salzwelten” Altaussee, a visit to the “Kammerhofmuseum” Bad Aussee, walking and hiking in the Blaa Alm or to Altausse. The region of Ausseerland-Salzkammergut offers a wide network of trails in various levels of difficulty. There is boating on Lake Altausse, and climbing on the Sisi and Sophie climbing routes, as well as at the climbing park.
4. The lodges themselves are beautifully designed and have used a lot of wood. Why have you placed such a high value on wood?
The architects focused heavily on the use of regional materials during the planning phase and helped to preserve the regional “Ausseer” style.
5. What other features or luxuries do guests find in the lodges?
Our guests enjoy the luxury of having their own house during their stay at the Hagan Lodge. The kitchen is fully-equipped and in the summer, the guests can enjoy their meals on the terrace. The bigger chalets are equipped with a private sauna. During the ski season, our guests have ski-in / ski-out access to the slopes and the surrounding restaurants and après ski huts. Additionally, we offer a breakfast service, which includes delivery directly to the chalets.
6. What are the regional dishes in Altaussee?
Char fish, “Käsespätzle” (cheese noodles), “Kaiserschmarren”, apple and plum pudding ...
7. Sustainability has become an important topic in skiing. What is Hagan Lodge doing to the reduce the environmental of a ski holiday?
Our corporate fleet of vehicles for the cleaners is electric. There is also an electric charging station for electric cars at the resort, where the guests of the Hagan Lodge do not pay to recharge the electricity.
8. Hagan Lodge has an impressive 4.5 star rating on TripAdvisor. How do you keep guests happy?
We really consider that the guests want during their vacation and try to make them as comfortable as possible. We are lucky that our resort is surrounded by 5-star
9. What developments are planned for the Hagan Lodge?
The ski resort and snow-making facilities are continually improving. After the completion of the new chalets, we only take a break long enough to plan the next improvement project!
Check out Hagan Lodge for an amazing ski experience and an amazing summer holiday too!